Thursday, July 26, 2007

Writer's Block & An Epiphany: A Two Part Blog

This will be a very simple two part blog. And awaaay we go:

  • I've been home for a little more than two months now and have yet to put out a poem. Alas, writer's block has gotten me down. And it's not classic writer's block where you don't know what to write about. I have a notebook full of ideas and concepts, yet I have been having problems putting things on paper. I've come to several conclusions on why this is happening.
    • THERE IS NO DUE DATE. When it comes to writing assignments, I'm good under pressure. I do my best work late at night/early in the morning. There's no sense of urgency, that's one reason nothing has gotten done.
    • I DON'T HAVE AS MUCH FREE TIME ON MY HANDS. Though I still have a lot of free time on my hands, it's nothing compared to how much free time I have in Carbondale. I spend my mornings with my grandmother, my afternoons at work, and I'm in bed by 11:30. Weird, I know.
    • I'M IN A GENERALLY HAPPY MOOD. I noted earlier that my best work comes late at night/early in the morning. That, coupled with my frustrations makes for classic works in which I vent. Since I've been home, I've been generally happy---and it's hard to get at certain topics when you're smiling ear-to-ear.

  • That brings me to my second topic, the change in me. I got bored one night and decided to read my old blogs from around a year ago, just to see what I was writing about. I direct you to my MySpace Blog from July 21 2006. In that blog I start with this line: "Life's guarantees: death, taxes and Lu writes about one of two things on his blog: women or the Cubs." And this is where I had my epiphany, I've changed so much in a year....and it's a good thing. I've noticed that I'm consistently happy now, unlike last year where I'd be happy for a day, then upset for a week. I've noticed that I'm not letting my issues with women run my life like they used to. Looks like I've got my priorities in line for once. I've also realized that when the Cubs are winning, I'm at my happiest. Some might think that's kinda sad, but I don't care. Because everyone loves "Happy Lu."
That's it. I just thought that I'd throw those two thoughts out there. I'd also like to note that a change in my attitude seems to coincide with the beginning of second semester. A lot has changed in the last year. People have come and gone and things have been a-changin'. I just hope to keep moving forward with the positive momentum and hopefully those things that plagued me in the past will finally fall into place the way that I thought they would.

And if the Cubs keep on their pace, all of that is going to take a back seat to "The Miracle On Addison Street."

:-)

No comments: