Wednesday, August 22, 2007

The First Day Of School: Part Two

NOTE: This is part two of a three part blog. Part one discussed my first day of school. Part two discusses days two and three. Part three, I will divulge my goals for this semester (among other things.)

As the saying goes, "Rome wasn't built in a day." After the first day of classes, I was a nervous wreck, to say the least. I thought everything would be impossible and had no idea how I was going to get through this week, let alone this semester.

Thankfully, there are 15 weeks in a semester!

However, the best thing to happen was the sun rising the next day. Day two of classes wasn't as intense as the first day. Big difference between four consecutive classes between 10 a.m. and 2:50 p.m. and two classes from 10 a.m. 'til 11:50 p.m.

I had my third journalism class, this one (JRNL 311- News Writing & Reporting) looks like it will be my favorite of the journalism classes. This one is taught by Bill Recktenwald, former reporter and writer for the Chicago Tribune. Looks like I'll get a lot of writing done in this class, which bodes well for me.

Prof. Recktenwald also introduced me to the NAHJ (National Association of Hispanic Journalists) and the wonders of that organization. I'd like to join and probably will within a few days. He told me they are having a big event in Chicago this July, which is almost like a job fair. That could be the first big step towards a productive future.

I'm not necessarily excited about my ZOOL 115 class. I'm not a big fan of science, but the class doesn't seem too off-the-wall difficult. I'd be happy with a grade of C in this class.

All in all, today I'm feeling a lot better than I did on Monday. I feel more relaxed and a bit more confident about what I can do this semester. I just need to stay focused and keep my priorities in check, and I think the rest will just fall into place.

COMING TOMORROW: I will set my goals for this semester. Things I want to do, how I'll prioritize, etc. I'm looking forward to what could/should be a very productive semester.

No comments: