Friday, August 24, 2007

Grandma's Purse

This is my first poem I've written this semester. It's not really an original piece by myself. My first assignment was to take a piece of prose writing given to me by my teacher and turn it into a poem by cutting out superfluous words and things I didn't like. I highlight portions that I liked and re-arranged the structure. And this is what i came up with. I hope you enjoy the first of what will be many works of poetry this semester.

Grandma’s Purse
by Luis C. Medina

This majestic purse once hung on a proud arm
for thirty years filled with hair combs, lemon drops
and a pocketbook with nickels for smiling children who said please.
It is now just an ornament. Its pea-green exterior worn
from being gripped and hugged, purse loops
hanging onto dignity, gold clasp too difficult
for knotted hands to open. Now the purse is empty,
it has not seen outside the nursing home in many years

No comments: