Thursday, February 14, 2008

The Obligatory Valentine's Day Post

As much as I want to ignore Valentine's Day, I just can't. I'll stay away from the typical bashing of the "holiday" by not referencing it as a "Hallmark holiday" or "Single's Awareness Day" or any of those clever and witty sayings. I have my own Valentine's Day reflection.

Feb. 14, 2008 marks the 10-year anniversary of one of the saddest four-day periods of my young life.

Chicago Cubs broadcaster Harry Caray, who took his wife Dutchie out to dinner on V-Day, collapsed at a restaurant and would die four days later.

Caray was an icon on both sides of Chicago, but in St. Louis as well--that's quite a trifecta to be able to have icon status for three sets of different fandoms. But not only was he a Chicago icon, he was my idol.

Personally, I credit Caray and analyst Steve Stone for teaching me all I needed to know about baseball and life. "Stoney" would provide in-depth baseball analysis "for all you little leaguers at home", while Caray would give classic play-by-play calls with a dash of random commentary about cute blondes and Budweiser.

Before I wanted to become the next great sports journalist, I wanted to be the next Harry Caray.

I'll always remember the time I met him with my mother at the Cubs Convention as he stood by the elevators. I told him I wanted to be just like him when I grew up and he told me "You'll make it, kid" and he gave me an autograph I will always cherish.

And even though the Cubs have had some decent broadcasters since the death of the man I knew as "Uncle Harry", watching a Cubs game hasn't been the same.

I hope those of you that enjoy V-Day go out and have a rockin' good time. I'll try to do so myself, just because I know Harry would want me to.

NOTE: Harry lives on, being the inspiration on my main quote: “Booze, broads, and bullshit. If you got all that, what else do you need?”

No comments: