Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Snowed In!

For the first time since 1984, weather has closed down Southern Illinois University. Yes, that means we've got a Snow Day in Carbondale! I'm pretty sure we never had a snow day while I was a student in the Chicago Public Schools system, so I'll enjoy it thoroughly.

And by "enjoy it thoroughly", I mean I will trap myself in my apartment and stay out of the snow and cold. But that's not all that bad, it gives me time to catch up on my blog, acquire new music, clean my room (NOT!) and start writing a skeleton of my Thursday article which will preview the women's swimming MVC Championships which are going to be held Feb. 14-16 at the SIU Rec Center.

Well, at least that means I'll be busy on Valentine's Day. Ahhh, good ol' V-Day! It deserves a post of its own and will likely get it because there is nothing I like more than a good ol' fashioned blog bitching about Valentine's Day. Don't worry, I'll have something up my sleeve.

While it's freezing up here, I'm imagining warmer temps out in Arizona where the Cubs will be kicking off Spring Training in just a few days. Manager Lou Piniella is in his second year with the Cubs and will try to take another crack at ending the longest championship drought in Major League Baseball.

Hmmm, it seems as if a Cubs preview deserves a post of its own. I know I've been promising one for a while, but it will get done.

As for the SIU men's basketball team, yuck! They just can't win on the road and that just means it's a mental thing. 9-2 at the friendly confines of the SIU Arena, but only 1-9 on the road. Even if SIU is 4-5 on the road, they would be 16-8 and looking like a much better team.

12-12 is a looong fall from a team that was only a few buckets away from knocking off the Kansas Jayhawks in the Sweet 16 round a year ago. I knew the Dawgs would miss Jamaal Tatum and Tony Young, but without one of the most dynamic backcourt duos in SIU history, the Salukis look lost--especially on the road.

That takes us to a little bit of a preview of Wednesday's game (weather permitting, of course) against the No. 14 Drake Bulldogs. Drake, who was picked to finish 9th in the MVC according to the pre-season poll, is the class of the MVC this year and has shocked the college hoops world by winning 21 straight games.

That means it is up to SIU to A) stop the streak and B) not allow Drake to clinch anything at the SIU Areana.

Me thinks that topic deserves a post of its own too. Guess what, it will!

That's all for now, sorry for not keeping up, life is busy (to say the least). I'll leave you with some quality linkage:

And finally the two "must see" links of the day:
Quotable:

I never thought I'd pull a quality quote from a site dedicated to the profiles of hot chicks on facebook, but alas:
Life is too short to wake up in the morning with regrets. So love the people who treat you right, forget about the ones who don’t and believe that everything happens for a reason. If you get the chance, take it. If it changes your life, let it. Nobody said that it would be easy, they just promised it would be worth it.”
Here's the link, enjoy yourselves a pretty girl today.

No comments: