Thursday, September 6, 2007

I Hate...

...being a Cubs fan.

There, I said it.

If there's any feeling that is lower than this, it's probably death.

Ryan Dempster, I hate you. I've hated you since 2004 when you decided you didn't want to get any one out in that game against the Mets which LaTroy Hawkins would later blow.

Today's game had the same feeling that game had.
  • Great starting pitching.
  • Clutch hitting
  • A bullpen that decides to give up home runs and lose ballgames

Mr. Dempster, your assclown antics have no place in my heart or on my favorite team as long as you continue to walk the tightrope and ruin a great performance by Jason Marquis.

Daryle Ward, you're a pretty good pinch hitter....BUT STOP GETTING PICKED OFF YOU FAT F*CK!

If the Cardinals win this division, God help us all. You might as well enshrine Albert Pujols and Tony LaRussa in the Hall Of Fame immediately after game 162.

If the Brewers win, I won't feel as bad. That's a lie, I'll still feel like absolute crap who you will be able to find at the highest ledge around. But at least it's not the Cardinals.

I can't take many more games like this, let alone years like this. I'm taking a break because I have places to go (4:15 p.m.)


FIVE HOURS LATER

Now I am a lot more calm than I was around 4 p.m. when I was willing to take a six hour drive north to Chicago and put an end to the career of Mr. Dempster. However, I'm still more than peeved about the loss.

I don't hate being a Cubs fan. I hate being teased mercilessly by a team that seemingly looks for ways to piss off the most faithful fans in baseball. On to the rest of the blog...

Dempster has a million defenders, heck, I even defended him at one point. But it's hard to defend someone who makes my life miserable every time he takes the mound, whether he saves the game or not.

Had I been at the bar watching the game instead of calmly at my computer waiting for the game to end, I would have gone on a drinking spree that would still be going on.

So now I, like everyone else in Cubdom, am ready to appoint Carlos Marmol to be the new Cubs closer. Here are a list of guys I'd rather have closing out games than Demp:
And I don't want Marmol to close just because everyone else does, I have the following statistical proof:
  • Only three inhereted runners have scored when Marmol enters the game
  • He's got 77 K's in only 55 innings.
    • That's a 12.38 strikeout-per-9 IP ratio
  • He's got a 1.45 ERA, best on the team
  • He's got a 1.125 WHIP
  • He's only allowed 2 home runs all year
  • He's held opponents scoreless in all but six appearances
He's got a mid-90s fastball and the nastiest slider this side of Francisco "K-Rod" Rodriguez. There is no conceivable reason that Marmol isn't closing.

Manager Lou Piniella should install Marmol as his closer, or risk blowing a chance at the NL Central title.

ADDITIONAL READING: I'm not the only one who hates Ryan Dempster!

No comments: