Tuesday, September 18, 2007

I've Seen This Episode Before...

...and I didn't like how it ended the first time.

In 2004, life was good. I was happily one month into my freshman year at SIU and the Cubs were on their way to winning the Wild Card.

Then a disasterous weekend in New York came, in which the Cubs blew the second and third games of that series.

Still, they had a lead in the NL Wild Card and came home to play the woeful Cincinnati Reds and dominated the Reds in game one. But then would go on to lose the next three games.

I'll never forget game three, Mark Prior pitched the game of his life, striking out 16 reds in nine innings of work. That was the first time I felt heartbreak in college.

The Cubs would go on to lose the Wild Card to the Houston Astros, Sammy Sosa walked out on Cubdom and Sosa's boom box was destroyed. Thus, the beginning of the end of the Dusty Baker era.

Let's fast forward to 2007.

The Cubs entered today's game with a one game lead over the Brewers, however after tonight's loss to the Reds (coupled with the Brewers win) the Cubs find themselves tied for first with under two weeks of games left to be played.

I'm not a big fan of repeating history, especially when repeating history will likely cause me to go on a major drinking binge. But I have faith in this year's Cubs team.

I have more faith in Lou Piniella handling a bullpen than I did in Dusty Baker. But that's where that faith ends.

The 2004 Cubs were more talented. They had a more prolific offense and a healthy Prior and Wood.

To make things even more stressful, playoff tickets go on sale Sunday at 9 a.m. and the idea of paying for tickets for a non-guarantee is a big risk.

But once in a while, I need to take a risk. And for the Cubs, I'm willing to take that risk. Mostly because I'm half crazy. But also, because I have faith and the last time I bought playoff tickets with the division hanging in the balance the Cubs won it in 2003.

Now that is history worth repeating.

There's plenty of games to be played. Tied for first place, the Cubs & Brewers "magic number" stands at 12.

No comments: