Sunday, September 16, 2007

Weekend Recap: Cubs, Cards & Other Animals Too

All I have to say is: "Wow, what a weekend!" Lots to recap, let's get it crackin'!

CUBS VS. CARDS WEEKEND

In September, every series is critical but when you're hanging on to first place by the slimmest of margins. But when you're playing your top rival, everything is magnified to the fullest. Even with all that pressure on the Cubs, they still won three of four games in St. Louis against the Cardinals and maintained their one game lead over the Milwaukee Brewers.

Carlos Zambrano picked up the win Friday night by pitching eight innings and allowing only one run. Daryle Ward's clutch three-run pinch-hit double in the ninth was the difference in the ballgame. Ward is batting .333 against the Cards this year.

The Cubs won game one of Saturday's double header behind Alfonso Soriano's game winning two run home run in the eighth inning. Kerry Wood picked up his first win as a reliever in the contest. Soriano also hit a two-run homer in game two giving the Cubs a short-lived 3-0 lead that starter Sean Marshall could not hold. The Cards won game two 4-3.

In game four, Jason Marquis pitched good enough to earn his 12th win this year, and his second victory against his former mates. On September 1st, I mentioned that Marquis should be the most motivated Cub, seeing that the Cards left him off the NLCS and World Series roster. The Cubs should have scored more than four runs, they left 14 guys on base. They left more guys in scoring position than a prude virgin. Youngsters Matt Murton (three run home run) and Geovany Soto (4-for-5) led the Cubs at the plate in the 4-2 victory.

By taking three-of-four this weekend, the Cards fell to seven games behind the first place Cubs, marking what could be the beginning of the end of the Cardinals reign as World Champions. Currently, the Cards have a .339% chance of making the playoffs. Somewhere, Marquis is kicking dirt on a make-shift Cardinals grave.

Just call 'em the "Deadbirds."

BIG FOOTBALL WEEKEND

Indeed, it was a big weekend for my favorite football teams. Michigan stomped Notre Dame 38-0 for their first win of the season. Mike Hart led the Wolverines (1-2) rushing for 187 yards and 2 TDs, while Notre Dame (0-3) has yet to score an offensive touchdown this season.

No. 6 SIU moved to 3-0 this weekend after beating Southern Utah 44-10. Quarterback Nick Hill (who happens to be a Cubs fan) threw four touchdowns to spark the offensive attack. This coming one week after SIU's 34-31 upset victory over in-state rival NIU last week in DeKalb.

Sunday, the Bears (1-1) beat the Chiefs 20-10 at Soldier Field. In a refrain familiar to Bears fans, today's victory was sparked by the defense and a punt return touchdown by Devin Hester. Also, Cedric Benson picked up his first 100-yard game in the NFL.

A WEEKEND AT THE BARS

It's not an official weekend in Carbondale unless there is bar hopping involved, and this weekend was no exception. Friday night earned a star in my book. Gatsby's II was off the chain, mostly because of the atmosphere. Their drinks are expensive ($5 long islands, $2.75 for a Miller Lite) but the crowd and the music made up for it. Friday's DJ played all the hot current music you would want to hear while enjoying a night on the town. It was like he jacked my I-pod for the night.

Saturday, however wasn't that good---mostly because the DJ sucked. So I've come to the conclusion that Gatsby's is the place to be on Friday nights. Saturday nights, however, are still up in the air. Something will get figured out by next Saturday, I'm sure.

MISCELLANEOUS HAPPENINGS

  • I got a chance to work this weekend, that makes me happy because I like working...and I like getting paid. I have a newfound respect for officials. They take so much sh*t and have to put up with fans and players--it's only my first week, but it's a little nuts. In the end, I'm happy to be working again.
  • I'm coming home in October, and it couldn't happen soon enough. I'm missing my peeps at home and a weekend in the Chi could work wonders for my mental state. I've also planned my trip to (hopefully) coincide with what would be game 3 of the NLDS (which would be played at Wrigley Field.) Yeah, I'm a loser 'cuz I've figured out the postseason schedule a month in advance. I can only imagine how it could be in Wrigleyville on a chilly October night with playoff baseball around the corner. I guess we'll find out in about 12 games.
That's all for now, hope you rweekend was as eventful as mine.

No comments: