Tuesday, December 4, 2007

BREAKING NEWS: Stephen A. Smith Hates The First Amendment

Pardon the interruption: I'd like to take a break from posting my poetry to address something that has been bothering me all day.

It seems to me that ESPN's Stephen A. Smith hates the following things:
  • The Internet
  • The First Amendment
In a recent interview, Smith had this to say about the internet:

"And when you look at the internet business, what’s dangerous about it is that people who are clearly unqualified get to disseminate their piece to the masses. I respect the journalism industry, and the fact of the matter is ...someone with no training should not be allowed to have any kind of format whatsoever to disseminate to the masses to the level which they can. They are not trained. Not experts."

When I read that, I was in complete shock. Not really, Stephen A. Smith is nothing more than a loudmouth who gets paid to say dumb things on the ESPN family of networks.

Now that I've got that out of the way, I'd like to break down what he said.

First, I'd like to address the idea of "people who are clearly unqualified get to disseminate their piece to the masses."

I wonder if Stephen A. ever learned about the First Amendment of the United States Constitution, which states:

"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press..."

How does Stephen A. ignore the First Amendment, after all, it is the same amendment that allows him to speak and write what he wants.

But wait, there's more!

"Someone with no training should not be allowed to have any kind of format whatsoever to disseminate to the masses to the level which they can."

Thankfully, I am in training because I am a journalism major at Southern Illinois University Carbondale, which is one of the best journalism schools in the country. It boasts the award winning student newspaper, the Daily Egyptian.

But seriously, just because I'm a professional (yet) doesn't make what I have to say valid?

And really, how am I supposed to reach out to the masses without putting my work out there? It's the ultimate catch-22 and I've been there before. Last year I was not hired to work for a Cubs blog because of my lack of experience.

How can I get experience when no one will hire me because I have no experience.

I digress. Next topic.

"They are not trained. Not experts."

Does that mean that the fans that call into your radio show shouldn't be calling because they are not experts? I didn't think so.

Furthermore, I'd like to reference Stephen A.'s cameo in Chris Rock's movie I Think I Love My Wife. According to Stephen A.'s logic, he should have never been close to the, seeing that he is not a professional actor.

Maybe Stephen A. hates the internet because of sites like this, that criticize guys like him. Maybe he hates the internet because there are guys out there with opinions and beliefs that are different than his. Maybe he hates the internet because there are guys like me on sites like this that will one day take his job.

Maybe he hates guys like me who don't have to scream just to get a point across.

In closing, I'd like to finally welcome Stephen A. to the United States of America. A country that allows you to say what you want, when you want as long as you are not slanderous or libelous.*

And always remember: just because you're loud, it doesn't make you right!



*Thank you JRNL-332 (Journalism Law) for teaching me something!

No comments: