Sunday, December 2, 2007

Poem #8: Annemarie

Annemarie

I'll never find another you
with hair so soft and eyes so blue.

Now you're gone, I don't know what to do.
I'll never find another you.

Not knowing where you are, wishing you were here.
Knowing you made me better when you were near.

Wondering why you aren't here with me;
Guess you wanted to be free.
I no longer control you, Annemarie.


This is my rendition of a blues poem, and it was one of the more difficult assignments from this semester. I have my issues writing a blues poem because I find emulating the classic blues style and trying to capture the voice of blues poetry, so instead I try to write from one of the topics seen a lot in blues poetry, heartbreak.

This falls under the category "write what you know" and know one knows heartbreak like I do. So since I didn't capture the blues voice, I added other elements of poetry to enhance my work such as rhyme and the use of couplets and a tercet to end my poem.

In the future, I would like to work with this poem and extend it by giving more of a description of "Annemarie." Because if I can describe "Annemarie" to a better extent, then I can really capture how much of a heart breaker she really is.


Author's note: The original title and name used in this piece was "Majorie," and the poem was inspired by a character from the former ABC television show "What About Brian?" which I jokingly claimed was based off my life. Her character was the inspiration behind this piece.

No comments: