Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Poem #15: Scholastic Sestina

Scholastic Sestina

In my dorm, across the hall, live two girls.
Tomorrow marks the first day of school.
I hope they are in some of my classes.
I hope this year I get some good teachers
that do not make me buy a lot of books.
My goal for this year is to get good grades.

I know I have to work hard for good grades.
I must not get distracted by these girls.
I hope my teachers do not use their books
or assign work on the first day of school.
Knowing my luck, I'll have crappy teachers
who give homework in all of my classes.

I would rather not go to my classes,
but that would lead me to getting bad grades.
I would get no sympathy from teachers,
and being dumb does not impress the girls.
I really do not want to go to school
tomorrow, or pay for expensive books.

Eventually, I'll buy my school books
and take them to all of my classes.
Now, I really do want to go to school,
because I want to get really good grades.
After classes, I will talk to the girls,
after I do work assigned by teachers.

I have homework to do, thanks to teachers.
Unfortunately I don't have my books.
Maybe I will ask one of the cute girls
even though they are not in my classes.
This year I really need to get good grades,
I cannot afford to drop out of school.

You know what, I will not drop out of school.
Maybe I will suck up to my teachers
in an attempt to get some better grades.
Or maybe I will read all of my books
and study hard for all of my classes.
Or maybe I will party with those girls.

School would be much more fun without the books,
teachers, or having to go to classes.
Grades are important, but so are the girls.



One of the most challenging poems I had to write all semester was the sestina. Sestinas consists of six six-line stanzas and a concluding tercet. All-in-all it is a 39-line poem.

In addition, when writing the sestina you use the same set of six words ends the lines of each of the six-line stanzas, but in a different order each time. Then, number the first stanza's lines 123456, then the words ending the second stanza's lines appear in the order 615243, then 364125, then 532614, then 451362, and finally 246531.

For my end lines I used "girls", "school", "classes", "teachers", "books" and "grades." I used some of my college experiences and feelings as inspiration for this piece.

I know it's long, but it is fun to read and it was fun to write.

No comments: