Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Poem #17: We, The People

We, The People

We feared
the end was coming.
It never came.
We believed
The stories you told
of a better world.
We waited
for change.
It never came.
We failed.
It won't happen again.


Finally, we've come to the end of my fall 2007 poetry portfolio. In my opinion, there is so much to like about "We, The People" I don't know where to start.

First, to explain the assignment. This assignment calls for a poem of parallel structures. The best way to construct a poem of parallel structures is to use repetition.

As for the poem itself, I used repetition with phrases that start with "We..." because I feel that repetition is one of the most powerful tools a poet could use.

I also liked writing this poem because it was a different type of poem for me. One of the things I've learned this semester is that you can't always write about being a heartbroken college student (hint: that year end list is coming soon).

So with this poem I decided to jump on the Bush-bashing bandwagon in a subtle way. And it's really not "Bush-bashing", it's meant to be an analysis of how I feel about the government as a whole.

Also, I like how this poem can be applied to things other than politics. If you use your imagination, you can apply the concepts and ideas of this poem to other things in life.

But I'll let you, the reader. Interpret for yourself.

Thanks for reading!

No comments: