Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Poem #16: It's Over

It's Over

My open ear listened
to your closed-minded thoughts
and my ideas went ignored.
Unwelcome words I spoke
were shredded strands of failure.
I'm through with you.



"It's Over" is one of two poems that I consider to be "closing statements" of my Fall 2007 poetry portfolio. It was derived from a poem that I wrote last year called, called "Down, Not Out."

When I wrote the original poem, I was going through a rough time in my life where I felt like I was being manipulated, so I wrote a poem describing how I felt about the situation at the time.

However, this assignment asked for me to write a different type of piece. It was meant to be an emulation of Robert Frost's "tell it like it is" style by using simple words and "saying what you mean" in blunt statements.

I tried to keep it short and simple, in fact, "It's Over", which consists of six lines is a much simpler form of "Down, Not Out" which consisted of 11 lines.

Basically for this poem I took what I liked and kept it. I thought those lines were the most powerful, and since I couldn't find anything as powerful to end with, I used the line "I'm through with you" to end it.

I think the thing I like most about this piece is the change of the ending, which seems to coincide with the changes I have gone since I wrote that poem.

I hope you can enjoy and appreciate this piece.

No comments: