Wednesday, December 5, 2007

Poem #11: At The Breakfast Table

At The Breakfast Table

Corrupt politicians on TV,
wishing I could change the channel.
“Where’s the remote?”

How did Friday night turn
into Monday morning?
My phone rings—who cares
breakfast is ready.

It’s a text from my ex.
We haven’t spoken since
she did you know what,
with you know who.

She wants to reconcile.
At breakfast I reconsider
dating a cheater.



This was one of the assignments I truly enjoyed. The assignment was to take a piece of prose or a prose poem that you have written in the past and break up the poem with line breaks.

This task was quite easy, seeing that I already had a prose poem in my back pocket.

I used "Monday Morning Phone Call" as my piece to break up (no pun intended). I found it difficult, at first, to break up the prose because each word meant so much to me.

So what I did to break it up was take statements that I felt did the most for the prose poem and use those and separate them with line breaks.

I think now the poem is easier to read and is better because of the line breaks. I think the content is more clear and the points that I really wanted to jump out at the reader actually do so.

Well, at least that's what I think

1 comment:

Kismet Nuñez said...

I've been following your poems and I have your portfolio. I've just been in end of semester stuff so I haven't had a chance to make comments. But now that I'm done, I'll have to time to go back to Poem 1 and read forward.

Yeah for blogs!